A Past Pastime: Baseball at Loyola

By Loyola University Maryland Archives  |  Photos courtesy of the Loyola University Maryland Archives

Baseball has a long but inconsistent history at Loyola. Take a look at Greyhounds baseball through the years.

1872: $4.38 is spent on bats and baseballs.

1896/1897: A uniformed baseball team is organized and wins eight of 11 games.

1910: Baseball team does not play due to lack of a field.

1914: Varsity baseball returns.

1917: Baseball team is disbanded mid-season when World War I begins.

1922: Local political leader and real estate investor Joseph Kelly gives a $15,000 donation to create a field for baseball and football.

1924: Baseball returns.

1933: A student writes in The Greyhound, “Baseball seems to be out of date in the colleges,” after only 14 fans come to a game.

1934: Loyola freshmen form their own baseball team and finish the season with a record of 6-4. Also, an indoor baseball league is formed consisting of two teams each from the four classes.

1935: The Greyhound reports that varsity baseball makes a “comeback” at Loyola

1939: Lefty Reitz is appointed baseball coach.

1941-1943: Loyola wins the Mason Dixon Conference Baseball Championship three years in a row.

1944: Lefty Reitz enlists in the Navy for World War II and steps down as baseball coach.

Lefty Reitz

1947: Lefty Reitz returns to coaching the baseball team and Loyola wins the Mason Dixon Conference Championship.

1948: Loyola fails to secure the Mason Dixon Title, losing to Randolph-Macon, the first time since the inception of the conference that the team did not win the title.

1950: Loyola wins Mason-Dixon Conference.

1950: Former Loyola student Gordie Mueller plays for the Boston Red Sox.

Old loyola baseball photo

1951: Loyola is unable to defend its conference title from the previous year.

1956 and 1957: Loyola wins the Northern Division Championship (the Mason-Dixon Conference had split into North/South Divisions).

1962: The varsity baseball team has a losing (8-10) record this season.

1963: Pitcher Howard Murray, ’66, throws a no-hitter against Mount Saint Mary’s. The Greyhounds lose the championship.

1964: Greyhounds continue to struggle, finishing with a 6-10 record.

1965: Another dismal (9-10) season for the Greyhounds.

1970: The team wins only three games.

1974: Baseball team is back to a winning (11-6) record.

1977: Team ends season with a record of 7-14-1.

November 1978: Intercollegiate baseball and track teams are canceled, “effective immediately.” Funds were needed for a new athletic complex and a parking facility.

1986: Baseball returns to Loyola as a club team, competing against other schools.

1988: In its second season, the club baseball team does not win any games.

1989: Fifteen rainouts leave the baseball team with a 2-6 record. The team wins its first game in nearly two years against Western Maryland College, and also defeated Johns Hopkins.

1990: After starting off the season with a 4-2 record, the Greyhounds lose the last five games.

1991: Baseball enjoys its first winning season since 1986, with a record of 9-3.

2000s-Present: The baseball team continues to exist as a club and intramural sport.

Bookmark and Share

• Posted by Paul Lawless | August 2, 2011

I was a member of the 1976 Greyhound baseball team, and am seated on the far right, first row. I believe it was one of the best teams in Loyola history with a 14-6 record. We lost to George Mason 1-0 in the first round of the Mason Dixon Tourney and were 2 victories from an NCAA Division II tournament spot. I had a color copy of this picture which I brought to Camden Yards for a Loyola baseball reunion 15 years ago. We played the Club team, and they got a kick out of our long hair. It was a great time. Do you have a color copy of the picture? I recently looked for it in my Loyola collection and couldn’t find it. I’ll certainly pay for any costs. I do have album pictures of the reunion at Camden Yards. Mr. Peter Angelos,the owner of the Orioles and member of Loyola Board of Directors at the time, allowed us to use the field on a beautiful Sat. morning. It was great fun and I was sore for a month. Thank you for the memories! Paul Lawless

• Posted by Ken Anderson | August 6, 2011

After being scouted by the Giants organization while playing Babe Ruth League in New York, (I was a catcher who caught three no-hit games in a row, two of them by a guy who went on to play in the minors, plus my being honored as co-captain of the Northern Westchester County All-Star team) I came to Loyola to specifically play baseball. I had gotten the Student Gov’t bug earlly upon arrival and got swept up in that instead. One day, I walked over to try-outs, and once I saw how tight everyone was already, I got a little intimidated and walked away, only to play intramural softball. I regret that sense of insecurity that day, and wish I could have lived that approach and peering through the fence over again. I eventually went through track tryouts to get my speed up in order to return to baseball when the school cut the program. I never returned to the game I loved and (some say) excelled at.

Thanks for the article.

• Posted by Brian McLoughlin | August 8, 2011

Great to hear from my old friend Paul Lawless after so many years! I played for Loyola during that same period. I’m the handsome lad second from the left in the front row (difficult to understand how I couldn’t attract any women back then…). Yes Paul, that was a great squad and like any great team, had the unusual cast of characters that somehow meshed. Knuckleheads and straight-arrows (that was me) alike, we laughed an inordinate amount, but when it was time to compete, we did it with grace and style! Those great memories are still alive and well as I await that call from Coach Kevin to recruit my son Ian, a 6’2″ left-hand hitting catcher to mark the return of Loyola baseball? But honestly, I’m cracking myself up just thinking about the hard-working Paul, talented Steve Cahill, Tommy the speed merchant, George and Jack putting up with the antics of Joe Mancini (man, he was fun to see pitch), with Tom Stang catching, the Pimlico Prince handicapping in the bullpen, Jimmy McGuire doing what only he could do (still not sure what it was, but it was somehow hilarious), and me… Well, let’s just say I was busy growing up. Still, I cherish those days that taught me camaraderie, the ability to just let it happen and appreciate people for who they are, teammates… Warm regards to you all. ‘B’ McLoughlin

• Posted by John Puccio '94 | August 9, 2011

No mention of Mike Bielecki? He pitched 13 seasons in the majors (1984-1997)playing for the Braves, Cubs, Pirates, Angels and Indians.

• Posted by Chuck Acquisto | August 9, 2011

Enjoyed the Loyola baseball timeline. In 1985, I was recruited to play baseball at Catholic University. The fact future New Yankees general manager Brian Cashman would be my teammate as well as Class of ’89 classmate was not strong enough for me to commit to the Cardinals. I enrolled at Loyola College. My advisor Prof. Andrew Ciofalo, who had heard about my love of playing baseball, suggested I start a club team. I left the SGA budget negotiating to my roommate and future Legg Mason attorney Nick Milano (he never forgave me for having to vigourously argue to the Student Government the need for helmets, bases, and baseballs, but I saw it as his very first case). That summer I somehow managed to convince a hand full of schools to play Loyola, including an opening day home game against Frostburg State University at the old University of Baltimore baseball field (lot of TLC was needed to get that diamond in the rough ready). Our uniforms were circa 1977 (from the very last Loyola College varsity baseball team) that outgoing Athletic Director Tom O’Connor gave to me straight from the mothballs. He told me the team was disbanded because the turf was put in and the school would not let the team practice/play off-campus (oh, the irony). That ’77 team featured a great freshman pitcher and future MLB star Mike Bielecki. Our first win came on the road that spring (1987) against NAIA school Waynesburg University in Pennsylvania. In 1988, we mirrored the Baltimore Orioles (0-21 start) by losing all our games, even gaining a mention in a Baltimore Sun article on the art of losing. The hiring of Yankee Rebels coach Joe Palmer for the following season allowed for a more polished and fundamentally sound team. I played in the Alumni game 15 years ago at Camden Yards and have etched in my memory smashing a line drive single to right field (only bummer was current club team did all the pitching). I now coach my son in Dublin, CA Little League and travel baseball. A youthful 10, he already throws as hard as my VW arm every did. We have started a Facebook Page for Loyola Baseball. Anybody who has ever played for Loyola baseball is welcome. One thing is for certain, those who have donned the club team uniform since 1986 have played for the love of the game. My dream is to one day see baseball rightfully restored to varsity status that it so richly deserves. I wish the current club baseball team nothing but the greatest success. Chuck

• Posted by Jerry Wood | August 24, 2011

I was a member of that 1976 Baseball team also. I played all 4 years 1974-1977. I am 4th from the right in the 3rd row. Pitcher and third base. A great group of guys who labeled me with the nickname “Redwood”. Fortunately, I left that behind at Loyola. Many fond memories. Sorry I missed the reunion game at Camden Yards. I live in GA now and just started back playing on a Men’s Senior 55 and over league. Still love baseball and having a great time. I often wonder how everyone on that team turned out. I expect all have done well. Jerry wood

• Posted by Jerry Wood | August 26, 2011

To add to my previous comment: I remember anytime one of our other pitchers would get a few men on base….I can still hear coach Kavanaugh saying to catcher, Jimmy McGuire..”Jimmy, Get Redwood and warm him up”. Even though I was sitting right there. I remeber our great season Paul Lawless referenced in his comment. Our pitcher Joe Mancini pitched a great game in our 1-0 loss to George Mason. I remember because I was suppose to come in if he got into any trouble. I warmed up at least 4 times that day but never got in. I guess I was the country boy on the team from Southern Maryland, St Mary’s County. I grew up working in tobacco and sawmills. Jerry Wood

• Posted by Mary Rieman | November 1, 2011

It was a sad day when they terminated the baseball team!
    Never really understood why they did so!!

Mary Rieman Class of 79

• Posted by Frank Felsburg | July 4, 2014

I was a third string catcher in ’77 & ’78. I would often warm up Bielecki and he was in my Shakespeare for Everyone class. The catcher’s mitt I got off Don Sacha didn’t have enough padding in the middle of it and I was too dumb to wear a batter’s glove underneath it, or put a sponge in there. Man, my hand would hurt!

• Posted by Cooper Davis | December 16, 2014

My name is Cooper Davis, I am current senior at Loyola and the President of the Club Baseball Team. I enjoyed reading all of the previous comments and would love to learn more about the team’s history. If any former club or varsity players read this post and have any interest in sharing experiences and memories from the past, please feel free to email me at loyolamarylandbaseball@gmail.com. We have a current facebook page open to all past and current Greyhound baseball players. Please check out our website http://www.loyolamdbaseball.com.

I would love to hear from any former players and am excited to learn more about the teams past.

RSS feed for comments on this post.